The Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP), has begun a massive recruitment in an effort to replace scores of their members that have surrendered to the military in the North-East.
This was disclosed on Sunday by the Director of Public Relations at the Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Onyeama Nwachukwu during a tour of the headquarters of the Theatre Command, Operation Hadin Kai at the Maimalari Barracks, Maiduguri, Borno State.
Nwachukwu, while addressing the troops, said the military would not relent in its fight against terrorism, urging members of the public to be observant in their communities to guard against their children being recruited by the terrorists.
He said: “I will like to mention that the ISWAP, very recently, having been depleted by the surrendering of their member, as well as conflict between them, they have embarked on what I will call a massive recruitment drive and I consider it very important to engage the media to block this recruitment.
“The Boko Haram insurgents have been surrendering. People have questioned the authenticity of the surrendering of these insurgents and why they are surrendering at this time.
“There are also the questions on the reintegration of these insurgents. Another question is what the plight of the victims of the insurgency is.
“That is the essence of this tour. The military is not resting on its oars in the fight to end insurgency and insecurity in the country.”
Speaking further, Nwachukwu enumerated the successes the Nigerian military has recorded so far in the fight against insurgency in the North-East.
“At some point, the insurgents almost took over the three state capitals of Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe in the North-East.
“Some three years back, Boko Haram was advancing towards the Federal Capital Territory. Today they have been boxed into the Timbuks”, Nwachukwu said